Changeing user accounts from "limited" in XP

Will 09:24 02 Sep 2004

I have just changes from Win98se to XP and am haveing teething problems. I logged on one day to find I had lost all the icns on my desktop and went through all sorts of loops to get them back eventually starting in saff mode to get to administrator and playing about in there. I now have 2 user acounts with out any icons on the desktop, therefore a blankscreen on startup and my account has a "limited" status. I have tried to put my account back as an administrator but can't find out where the option is! Anybody that can help out there?

ventanas 09:29 02 Sep 2004

Control Panel\User Accounts. Select User and click Properties. Change status in here. You will need to be logged on with administrator privileges.

spanneress 09:44 02 Sep 2004

OK...log out and go back in in safe mode. Log in as administrator..unless you set one there will not be a password so enter through that. Change the type of accounts for your users as you wish. Then, either in safe mode or back in normal start up, load the OS, right click on the start button, select propertes and select the classic start menu..this will atleast get your default icons onto the desktop..my docs, my computer, IE etc and then you can customise from there....

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone