Changed resolution-black or quad screens

sailess 18:12 27 Dec 2008

Hi there,
Yesterday I plugged my HP Pavillion DV9500 into my new flat-screen television to just have some fun. I logged into a video game I play and changed the resolution. Just to see if I could get the picture any clearer and whatnot. Anyways...now I'm dealing with a nightmare.

Now when the laptop starts in normal mode it is nothing but a black screen and it restarts itself after a few. I get two options in black and white text; one says something also the line of "fix the problem" and the other says to start Windows normally. Neither yield any results.

Starting the computer in safe mode gives me this freaky quad-view. The view of my desktop is broken into 4 equal columned sections, and the text is all quite small.

I've tried removing the video driver and restoring the computer to factory settings via the advice of HP but nothing has worked :0(.

Is there a command prompt to reset the video settings? What is my next step here?

woodchip 18:15 27 Dec 2008

Start in safe Mode and reset the resolution on the laptop

sailess 18:24 27 Dec 2008

Well I just tried to open the computer in safe mode and now its just a black screen here! I was able to view the options to enter safe mode, but after that I have nothing.

woodchip 18:27 27 Dec 2008

why not choose last known good configuration from list

sailess 18:41 27 Dec 2008

I tried that and the computer did stay on without restarting itself. The screen was still black though >.<

Thats why I was hoping for some sort of command propmt to reset everything because I'm bascially working blind.

ambra4 19:06 27 Dec 2008

Reconnect the laptop to the TV and change the screen resolution to the normal laptop setting and

check the screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz

Once you have change the laptop setting check that the video output on the laptop is set to both

Laptop and External Display by using the “FN” and “CRT/LCD” keys

Hold down the FN key and press the CRT/LCD key once

Display will change as follows: -

Press once Laptop Display Only

Press again External Display Only

Press again both Laptop and External Display

You must hold down the FN key each time you press the CRT/LCD key

You have to set the Laptop to show both Laptop and External displays

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?