changed IP Address but internet goes limited activ

Me&U22 20:54 14 Nov 2009

im trying to chnage the ip address whence i do that through out netowrk and sharing the fowlling is that what i done but "NO LUCK" PLEASE HELP.

Network and sharing, view status, double click on internet protecol version 4 (tcp/ipv4) and then i click on the Use the following ip address: for example i inset 123.123.123.123 etc and then the subnet mas automatically fill the feilds. and then i click on ok.

WHENCE I CLICK OK THEN EVERY THINK SET UP BUT MY CONNECTION GOES TO LIMITED ACTIVITIES. so this means i can not access to internet.

in order for me to access to internet i have to rechange the ip address to automatic.

please help how do i change the ip address without limited activity?

By the way im currently with virgin media broadband provider

any advice is appreciated

cream. 21:26 14 Nov 2009

Virgin media box or router if you have one off for an hour.

Switch it back on.

Me&U22 22:48 14 Nov 2009

Hi Cream.
i have virgin media modem connected to a wireless netgear router. its not clear do i have to turn it of after i set it up the ip address or before?

mgmcc 23:13 14 Nov 2009

See reply to your duplicate posting click here

cream. 10:33 15 Nov 2009

you want to change your IP address to a different one, for your own reasons. This will be the IP address others can see on the internet. If it is, you can not change the settings in the router as your IP address is allocated through your modem.

Virgin should allocate a IP number for you when you have your modem conected, you can not pick your own number. What you can do is to check your IP address with click here

Then disconnect the modem cable from the virgin socket and switch off the power to the modem. Connect again in a hour and check your IP with the above click here. See if Virgin have allocated a different address.

If it's not that, follow mgmcc reply.

cream. 10:36 15 Nov 2009

If you access via a telephone line. Take out the cable from the modem to the phone socket and switch off the power to the modem.

Me&U22 23:00 15 Nov 2009

done the above but no luck.

woodchip 23:11 15 Nov 2009

Simple Question Why do you want to change it? this is before trying to Help

woodchip 23:13 15 Nov 2009

And PS you cannot change it if its set buy your Internet Service Provider

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017