Change XP Pro from English to French

Chillie 13:04 29 Oct 2007

May seem a silly query, but stay with me. I spend some considerable time in France and I take my laptop with me. Have been thinking of using a flash drive, leave laptop in UK, and taking a spare desktop to France. The spare is OK and has a fully licensed XP Pro English.

Question: Can I change the language of XP to French, or reinstall choosing French as main language? I will also have to do the same with Office '03. And also buy a French keyboard.

Is this feasible?

Stuartli 13:10 29 Oct 2007

You probably need to check out Microsoft's Multi-Language Packs. See:

click here

click here

Chillie 13:44 29 Oct 2007

for the links. Will investigate on my return home. Will also checkout the XP situation.

Norman

Boghound 14:11 29 Oct 2007

Why not buy a cheap laptop from say HyperU? To answer your question no, as all the main "alert" windows will still be in English and unless you share your computer with someone French...What's the point.

Chillie 14:20 29 Oct 2007

Right on the button...yes, there is 'someone French', who finds things a bit awkward on the English setup when writing French.

Just thought there may have been an easy way....never is!

DieSse 14:26 29 Oct 2007

You could just buy a French keyboard, and set the configuration to be able to choose between your UK and French ones.

You can also set the Office Spell-check to French.

AS long as the French user could cope with the surrounding "gubbins" in English, then the keyboard may be just enough, as you'll then get accents, special characters etc. with no problems.

DieSse 14:28 29 Oct 2007

Another possibility is to load and then dual-boot from Linux, and set up the Linux and OpenOffice in French.

This software will, of course, be free.

Chillie 15:15 29 Oct 2007

The keyboard is definitely a must. Not sure about the Linux/Open Office route. After some years have gotten used to MS XP and Office, not sure about introducing something new! But thanks for the suggestion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?