change vista to xp help

towzer 15:33 17 Dec 2007

Hi all

You can not get drivers for dell d600 os vista, so i need to put xp on it.

I have borrowed an xp disc and teh laptop has an activation key.

please could some one guide me through how to put xp on system ? i have already found where i can get teh xp drivers from and just need to know how to put the os on.

Is it hard to do ? can i damage the laptop ?
Any help would be great
Cheesr

Crash 15:36 17 Dec 2007

Go into the bios and set the cd/dvd rom drive as the 1st boot device and them put the cd into the drive, exit the bios and save changes. Then when the PC boots again press any button when prompted to enter setup. See here click here

Crash 15:37 17 Dec 2007

or here click here this one has pictures!

towzer 15:38 17 Dec 2007

sorry mate for being so thick but where will i find the bios ?

Cheers

Crash 15:41 17 Dec 2007

When you first start the pc when the dell logo comes on press f2 to enter setup/bios

towzer 15:53 17 Dec 2007

ok cheers

So i dont need to delete vista in anyway before installing x p ?

Crash 15:56 17 Dec 2007

No the XP setup will format the hard drive deleting vista for you. Just make sure that you have everything you need off the laptop before you install XP as all will be lost when you install it.

towzer 16:02 17 Dec 2007

if i have had xp professional installed previously will i be able to install xp home ?

As one of my mates is lending me a disc and i am ont sure what version it is, the laptop has a sticker with activation code on the back.

Wil lthe laptop acept both ?

Cheesr

Crash 16:05 17 Dec 2007

For the code on the laptop to work you need to install xp professional. You can install any version of windows as long as the laptop meets the minimum spec

towzer 16:09 17 Dec 2007

Sound that will do, i should be ok then.

Could i do any damage to the laptop if i *** the installation up ?

tullie 16:12 17 Dec 2007

Dont forget to download all your drivers before you start.Ive been down this road and found that it really wasent worth the trouble to be honest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?