Change uppercase to lower case

Hetti 20:21 03 Apr 2014
Answered

Is there a way to easily change text when I find I have left cap lock on, and text needs to be lower case or vice versa, at present I clear it all and retype it all.

Thanks

Woolwell 20:48 03 Apr 2014

Using Word? If that is the case then highlight and select change case.

rdave13 20:55 03 Apr 2014

I don't know of a way to do that but I have the caps-lock to beep if upper case is selected. You'll need your speakers on for this warning though. click here.

Nothing more annoying than finding out the text is the wrong case in a whole sentence. That's the penalty of only being able to type looking at the keyboard instead of the monitor :(

Hetti 20:56 03 Apr 2014

Woolwell Thanks for that, I also wanted to know if it can be done when typing text in an email message or when filling in online forms, for instance I had filled in a tax form in uppercase as I had cap lock, so I cleared it and typed did it all again, Thanks again.

lotvic 20:56 03 Apr 2014

you can use click here (convertcase.net) to do it online, you have to watch out for the sentence case thought as it will convert the capital I to i in a sentence, and other letters when you actually want a letter to stay as a capital.

Ian in Northampton 21:03 03 Apr 2014
Answer

Hetti: the real answer to all your problems is to download and install Boldfinger (see here) and set it to load at start-up. It disables the caps lock key under 'normal' use: if you really want caps lock, you just use Alt+caps lock. I've used it for years, and it's brilliant.

rdave13 21:27 03 Apr 2014

Ian in Northampton , " the real answer" eh?

Nowt as good as to know that you are right, and on that recommendation I will certainly try it. Cheers.

Woolwell 21:42 03 Apr 2014

If the email creator uses Word as the underlying editor then it is the same.

Ian in Northampton 08:49 04 Apr 2014

rdave13: :-) Seriously, though - Boldfinger has worked great for me. It's one of those little freebies you come across that just transform your computing experience.

Hetti 16:50 04 Apr 2014

Thanks all Will try all the suggestions to see what suits me best.......cant wait to try them as this has been a problem for me for ages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?