change search engine used by address bar

PC_HelpMe 19:07 06 Jan 2009

Hi all,

I use Firefox and, whenever I used to enter something in my address bar it would automatically take me to Google's search results.

Now, whenever I enter something in the address bar, a "Fast Browser Search" page appears instead. How can I change which browser search engine I use once I have entered something in the address bar?

Many thanks.

PC_HelpMe 19:48 06 Jan 2009

Of possible interest - I have already been into the Tools menu and selected "Add ons" - and have uninstalled the "Fast Browser Search" from the list - but despite restarting Firefox as requested, it is still bringing up my search results on the Fast Browser page.

bluto1 21:35 06 Jan 2009

I just wonder if your computer should be rebooted to incorporate the change.

PC_HelpMe 18:39 07 Jan 2009

I have rebooted yet it is still coming up. I am rather confused as to where else it is still within my computer's memory as it is obviously coming up still from somewhere?

PC_HelpMe 19:18 10 Jan 2009

Any ideas how I change which browser my computer uses when I enter something in the address bar and hit enter?

Graham. 19:42 10 Jan 2009

See if it is in Add/Remove programs.

oh ..no 19:49 10 Jan 2009

try a spyware scan,unless you know its legit.Maybe a google of fast browser search+spyware to see if owt comes up.

oh ..no 20:00 10 Jan 2009

run malawarebytes
click here
to rule out a browser redirect problem.
Ps I couldnt find a fast browser search add on?

Sea Urchin 23:55 10 Jan 2009

"Any ideas how I change which browser my computer uses when I enter something in the address bar and hit enter?"

Presumably by the time you enter something in the address bar you are already using the browser.

On Fast Browser I would agree with Graham. Check in Add/Remove Programs, and if it's there remove it.

Graham. 09:37 11 Jan 2009

It's a downloaded program click here

oh ..no 09:46 11 Jan 2009

looks like an old browser you purchased? rather than a firefox add on as Jayzee33 mentioned, is where it appears on his system?
quote from your link Graham.
" Fast Browser is dead since 2005, IE7 and Firefox are powerful enough today"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?