Change 'read only' attribute Word 2007 / Vista

wildrover 16:06 20 Oct 2008

My word 2007 files have suddenly become 'read only'. Or rather, the files are not read only according to their properties but the folders that they are in are. If I try to change the folder attributes through 'properties', it allows me to do so but instantly returns to read only. I can't save anything without it becoming read only. A search on the internet for this problem gives some registry tweaks but I don't really want to do that if there is a simple solution. Anybody got any?

Thanks.

rawprawn 16:34 20 Oct 2008

Try Take Ownership click here

wildrover 19:46 20 Oct 2008

Downloaded and installed TakeOwnership but the problem remained.

I have now got round it by turning User Account Control off but I am not sure why the problem started - it hasn't been a problem before - and I wonder if it will start up again with UAC on (I have it on because it is easier to make adjustments to an account with Parental controls on)

birksy 01:51 07 Aug 2010

Having just installed Windows 7, I suddenly find all my folders are 'read only' too.

This seems to have occurred, as a result of transferring 'files & settings' from my Vista PC to a new PC.
It seems that the copy (to an external hard drive.) converts them to read only, to avoid corruption of the copy I suppose.
The odd thing is......it seems to have done the same thing to the files on the old PC too, in the act of copying them.

I've tried every suggestion offered on-line after Googling it, and get no joy in changing things. This includes using a cmd window to change attributes, and turning UAC to minimum setting.

This seems to have been going on since early Win XP, and Microsoft seem quite happy to sit on their piles of cash, and do nothing about it.

If anyone has any more suggestions, please feel free to offer them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?