Change O/S to XP

Blubottle 17:57 27 Oct 2008

I run 2ooo pro. but think it is probably time to upgrade to XP (not vista). Is this straight forward can I just install over Win 2K then upgrade all drivers as necessary or is a clean install required.
Next Question buying a copy of XP,,,,,, Ebay? other sources, OEM, ? advice please.
regards

Rahere 18:22 27 Oct 2008

You might be able to use an upgrade disk but I'd recommend a fresh install.

Check your programs will run OK first and that you have saved your browser favourites and cookies/email/documents/music etc I think there are enough similarities between W2K and XP to allow most programs to run, if in doubt you can run older programs in compatibility mode anyway.

You should still be able to buy an OEM disc from a reputable source some insist that you buy another system builder item like a harddrive or CD/DVD drive to qualify - ebay may not be the best for a genuine copy though.

Dart Echo 20:38 27 Oct 2008

>> ebay may not be the best for a genuine copy though. <<

For your information, I have just bought my 27th genuine XP this year off ebay.

Blubottle, many ppl have been successful upgrading but I agree with Rahere on this, a fresh installation is by far the best way to start with a new OS.

Blubottle 08:47 28 Oct 2008

Many thanks to one and all

ventanas 11:18 28 Oct 2008

Utterly amazing that after more than three years people are still saying that you can buy an OEM copy of Windows along with a piece of hardware. Microsoft removed this option ages ago.
OEM can only be installed to a new COMPLETE system build and nowhere else.
Bluebottle if you want XP on this machine you must buy a retail copy, you cannot use OEM.

Blubottle 12:11 28 Oct 2008

Ventanas, thanks but does this mean that an OEM copy would not install?.

Dart Echo 12:46 28 Oct 2008

It would install.

Blubottle 16:21 16 Nov 2008

thanks one and all,
My game plane is, as I run with two 80 gig HDD's the 2nd for backups. Reformat the second drive and set it as the primary drive install a new copy of XP home on it then with the primary drive as my slave drive copy over data files and programs,settings ect using the "file and settings transfer wizard" this way I will have an updated O/S but retain all my relevant files and settings. I suppose my Question is "will this work"? and has anyone else tried it.
regards.

Blubottle 16:22 16 Nov 2008

thanks one and all,
My game plan is, as I run with two 80 gig HDD's the 2nd for backups. Reformat the second drive and set it as the primary drive install a new copy of XP home on it then with the primary drive as my slave drive copy over data files and programs,settings ect using the "file and settings transfer wizard" this way I will have an updated O/S but retain all my relevant files and settings. I suppose my Question is "will this work"? and has anyone else tried it.
regards.

lofty29 16:43 16 Nov 2008

Blubottle
I would not have thought that you can copy your programmes over, files and docs; should be OK

Blubottle 15:44 19 Nov 2008

I have just bought an OEM copy of XP Home microsoft sealed in a box titled "OEM system builder pack intended for system builders ONLY" it then goes on to say to talk about the need for The OEM preinstallation kit (OPK) do I need to do this as all I am going to do is make a new installation on a formatted HD in my existing PC.
regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone