Change Netgear DG834 to DG834G

Krolroger 11:31 22 Aug 2010

Hello, I want to change my wired Netgear DG834 router (running V4.01) to a wireless DG834G v5. Please advise me what I need to do.

I am using a PC with Windows XP Professional and currently have a good internet connection with fast.co.uk

Many thanks,

mgmcc 12:53 22 Aug 2010

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by going "wireless" if it's a desktop PC you're running. With a Laptop, Netbook etc, it obviously gives mobility.

In any case, if the "computer" doesn't already have a Wireless Network Adapter installed, it will need one and I would suggest that, if buying both adapter and router, you go for 802.11n (150/300Mbps) hardware rather than 802.11g (54Mbps) which the DG834G is.

Krolroger 14:04 22 Aug 2010

Hi, thanks for the reply.

We've got two laptops and a PC in the house and I also use an iPod touch which can't be connected to a wired network.

With the DG834G I can continue to use the wired ethernet connection for the PC but will have the option of using wireless for one or both laptops and the iPod.

My question is really how to go about swapping the 834 over to the 834G. Do I need to uninstall the existing device, or can I just plug the 834G in instead?

Many thanks

mgmcc 16:09 22 Aug 2010

A router isn't *installed* in a computer, either as software or as hardware, it is a network device to which computers connect using TCP/IP protocol. Therefore, there is nothing to uninstall in your desktop PC. It will simply connect to the different router when they're swapped over.

The "wireless" router will need to be configured to connect to the ISP, which it should do with the same settings that your current router uses. Most of the default settings should be OK, but you will need to enter your ISP Username and Password in the router. You may also have to configure the router's "wireless" settings, in particular:

- make sure its 'wireless' is enabled.
- change the default SSID (network name) to a name of your own
- configure the wireless encryption settings (WEP/WPA/WPA2) to prevent unwanted guests from connecting to your wireless network.

Configuration of a router can be done by connecting any computer to it by ethernet cable and typing its (the router's) IP address into your web browser. The DG834G's IP address will be either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

Krolroger 16:22 22 Aug 2010

Brilliant.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?