Change to my win explorer, but not of my doing?

greybeard 22:11 22 Apr 2007

Just noticed today that an icon - picture of a flat screen plus pc - has appeared on my desktop with the caption 2 under it.
In windows explorer, when the left pane is fully colapsed it reads Desktop, my docs, 2, My Network Places, Recycle Bin.
The "2" opens up to give Local Disk(C:), DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:), etc. The rest is as normal.

Question - where has this re naming come from ? I certainly didn't change it, and have done nothing in the way of new downloads or instals of my own for about a month or more.

I do use ms windows update, but only after I approve, and auto update for avast, zonealarm etc.
Does anyone recognise this, and can put my mind at rest please ?

Running xp2 on a toshiba laptop, IE7.

Many thanks
John

skidzy 22:42 22 Apr 2007

Sounds like you have created a shortcut,or should i say..something may have created a shortcut.

Firstly i would try System Restore.

greybeard 00:24 23 Apr 2007

Hi Skidzy.
Not a shortcut. If I right click on it, and choose properties, I get a window "System Properties", not the usual "general/shortcut/compatability" window.

Jack Hackett 09:47 23 Apr 2007

Its your My Computer icon, it has been renamed, somehow (quite easily by mistake, nothing untoward)
Simply Right click on the icon, select Rename, call it what ever you like, GreyBeard's Computer if you like.

greybeard 12:43 23 Apr 2007

Jack, thanks for the reassurance. This morning I realised what it must have been.
It's just that one gets very suspicious these days, and I'd been "waiting for the other boot to fall".
Perhaps I have a bit of control freakery, but I do like to know what's going on with my own property.

Hmmm... I wonder how much of it is my own ? ;)

Regards
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires