change language on laptop

blackrat89 11:53 01 Feb 2009

Hi guys , wonder if someone could help . A friend of mine has been given a laptop to start him off in computing , only problem is its a Norwegian laptop. can I change it to English ? and how . cheers

MAJ 12:28 01 Feb 2009

Is Windows displaying in Norwegian? Or do you mean it has a Norwegian keyboard that you want to change?

Graphicool1 15:01 01 Feb 2009

blackrat89
If it's the language you want to change...
Vista:-
Start>(Bottom Left of Desktop)
Control Panel>
Clock/Language & Region>
(The Icon depicts a Clock in front of a Globe)

If it isn't Vista, On my WinXP Desktop PC it's...
My Computer> (The icon depicts a monitor & computer)
Control Panel> ( Icon depicts a pencil writing on a pad)
Regional and Language options> (icon is Globe on a stand)
The First TAB on the left> (Regional Options)
Near the top, a long box with which possibly says Norwegian in it. At the end of which is a down arrow. Click on the arrow and scroll down until you find - English (United Kingdom)

blackrat89 15:21 01 Feb 2009

Hi Maj, windows is diplaying in Norwegian.Im just running through what graphicool suggested ,

blackrat89 15:21 01 Feb 2009

Hi Maj, windows is diplaying in Norwegian.Im just running through what graphicool suggested ,

blackrat89 16:04 01 Feb 2009

unfortunatly changing the regional settings didnt make any difference,

MAJ 16:17 01 Feb 2009

Sorry for the delay, blackrat89, had visitors for lunch.

I think you will have to install an English Version of Windows from scratch.

blackrat89 16:22 01 Feb 2009

thanks maj, I thought as much. I have no recovery discs for this laptop , if I re-format would xp disc find drivers for the laptop , dont suppose you have a guide for formatting strange computers ?? .

PO79 16:30 01 Feb 2009

If you have Vista Ultimate it can be done click here

MAJ 16:31 01 Feb 2009

If you boot from an [English] XP CD, you'll be given the option to format the drive before installing XP. I don't know if XP will have all the drivers, it will have some though. If you could at least get hold of the motherboard drivers that would help a lot. I'm hoping it doesn't use a SATA drive, that could be awkward. What is the make and model of the laptop? Another thing I wouldn't be sure of, is whether your Norwegian XP serial number will work on an English version, this is new ground for me.

blackrat89 16:39 01 Feb 2009

Ive just looked a little bit closer at the machine and it has no internal CD rom drive ,it must have had an external system so I cant re-format anyway as I havent a external drive , so Thanks again maj for advise and I will have to ask my friend if it came with any other bits at all , thanks anyway,,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?