Change font size by user

Woody Ham 20:39 23 Jan 2008

I am preparing a web site for "recycled teenagers" and some wish to have a larger text size than is normal. Do anyone have advice on how to produce a facilty for the user to click something for larger font size please?

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:18 23 Jan 2008

can alter the size of text in any website by using the tools in whichever browser they are using.

If you are using IE7 just click the "Page" button and click on "Text size".

Other browsers may have this feature under the "View" or "Tools" menus, but it's there on all of them without you having to do anything to your site.

Kemistri 23:36 23 Jan 2008

IE will not resize pixel measurements, so you need to use a relative measurement if you wish to allow that method. That limitation has its advantages, of course, for controlling the size of certain text elements.

You can also easily implement JS-controlled style sheet loading to provide a range of text sizes (and many other changes if you so wish). But I prefer to keep the use of JS to sensible levels based on importance/necessity.

MAJ 00:54 24 Jan 2008

IE7, Firefox and Opera have the ability to magnify the webpage, rather than just increasing the text size (although they do have that ability as well, as barryoneoff.co.uk has said). I'm sure other up-to-date browsers, like Safari can do the same if your "recycled teenagers" don't use any of the three I mentioned at the start.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017