Change DVD RAM recording to normal DVD for tv play

Shedhed 15:38 24 Feb 2005

I have a DVD recorder that I use to record tv progs which records in dvd ram which can only be played back to tv in that recorder (Panasonic)
Can I thru my Computer DVD recorder convert/copy the RAM disc so that it can be played thru the pc or a normal TV/dvd player?

FelixTCat 16:16 24 Feb 2005

You will need a DVD drive in your computer that can read DVD-RAM disks. Some can only read DVD-RAM and some can both read and write.

Check the specification of your existing drive. If it has no DVD-RAM capability, a new one will cost less that £50.

When the recorder saves files onto the disk, there are a number of index files, thumbnails etc but the main file is a mpeg with a different file extension. Any program which will play mpegs will play those on a computer.

To play them back on a TV you either need a DVD player that will play mpegs (in DivX format) or you will need a program that will convert mpegs to DVD format and then burn a DVD.

If your computer is near the tv or you have a laptop with svcd output, you can buy cables for about £10 to connect the computer to the tv and play the mpgs on the tv through the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?