Change of DVD drive

leadwellie 11:01 06 Jul 2010

Hi.
I am changing my DVD drive due to the fact that it will not burn. It can read OK but not burn.
My query is this. Before I install my new drive should I uninstall the driver for the drive being replaced and if so is this done through device manager and is it straight forward to do?
I appreciate any help you can give me.
Regards.
leadwellie

daureluc 11:19 06 Jul 2010

DVD drive should be as hard drive, plug and play. Therefore the should be no need for a driver to be uninstalled.

If your new drive comes with a cd, then you might need to install a driver, very unlikely though

in the event that a driver was for you original dvd go on my computer locate the icon for your dvd right click property, under hardware tab select your drive and at the bottom click again property on the new window you will find a driver tab which allow you to update or uninstall drivers

but all this is quite unlikely as they are all plug and play now. And in any case even if an old driver was installed, it wont interfere with the new one

good luck

for more computer support click here

onthelimit 11:20 06 Jul 2010

Yes. Just right click the DVD in device Manager and then 'uninstall'. shut the machine down, change the drive, boot up - Windows will probably find a driver for the new drive and install it (if it comes with a disc, then use that).

MAT ALAN 11:41 06 Jul 2010

daureluc, The advice is most welcome the link is NOT i'm afraid, it is considered to be SPAMMING which is not permitted on this forum...

woodchip 11:44 06 Jul 2010

All I suggest is if its a IDE check the drive jumper is set the same as the old one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017