Change drive to install

collinsc 18:24 26 Feb 2008

my C drive is full, i want to install a cd quickly. it is saying the c drive is full and i should change my desstination drive- but it doesnt come up with an option box to allow me to do this.

any ideas?

thanks

wee eddie 18:27 26 Feb 2008

If it is, you will have to forget installing anything and get on with some housekeeping.

If it is not full ~ Give us more details of your PC and we'll try and work out what's happening.

BurrWalnut 18:28 26 Feb 2008

If you mean you want to install programs to a different drive, go to Start > Run, type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.

In the right pane, right-click ProgramFilesDir and Modify it to the drive of your choice, e.g. D:\Program Files which will put all new programs on the D drive.

collinsc 18:29 26 Feb 2008

yes its full, i have no idea why- it shouldnt be... i havent got a clue what is so large on it

collinsc 18:31 26 Feb 2008

burrwalnut- if i do that can i then just drag the application over to c when i get it cleaned (or get an HD)

MAJ 18:34 26 Feb 2008

"burrwalnut- if i do that can i then just drag the application over to c when i get it cleaned (or get an HD)"

No. But what you can do is drag a shortcut to the program to another drive.

collinsc 18:36 26 Feb 2008

maj- But that will mean the whole app is stil on the original drive, thus not saving space right?

id love to get this c drive down in file size- so i can store it there-but i just dont know where to begin!

Technotiger 18:42 26 Feb 2008

You could begin by looking at what you can un-install, items that you would not miss or need again. Look particularly for any large Video Files .

BurrWalnut 18:42 26 Feb 2008

If you have the CDs for all non-windows programs:
1. Uninstall them from C.
2. Run my registry change.
3. Reinstall the programs on another drive.

Technotiger 18:45 26 Feb 2008

In IE Tools>Internet Options .. delete Cookies and Files. Run Disk Cleanup Start>All Programs>Accessories>Disk Cleanup

BurrWalnut 18:52 26 Feb 2008

Here are some more ways to save disk space:

1. If your PC is behaving properly you can remove the Windows hotfix backup hidden files that begin $NTUninstallKB from the WINDOWS folder. There are two ways to do it, either by the preferred method of running a script which also removes the corresponding entries in Add/Remove Programs or manually deleting them.

Download, extract and run this little script click here Create a system restore point first just in case anything goes wrong during the registry updating.

Alternatively, copy them to a CD/DVD then manually delete them from the \WINDOWS folder but leave the now orphaned Add/Remove Programs entries intact. Only delete the $NTUninstallKB folders that relate to fixes not those for applications like Word, WMP, etc. Do not delete the $hf_mig$ folder.

2. Turn off hibernation i.e. Right-click Desktop > Properties > Screen Saver Tab > Power at the bottom > Hibernate Tab and untick ‘Enable Hibernation’.

3. Reduce the amount of space allocated to system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?