Change background colour in a layer

griffo 20:34 31 Mar 2008

I am trying to change the colour scheme (amongst other things) in a site I've downloaded into Dreamweaver CS3. I don't know what software was used to design the site originally (I do own the site by the way).

I have managed to change the background colour in the main body but the header is (of course) an image (layer). I have opened it in Photoshop CS2 but it's locked and I don't know how to get into it to convert the background colour. I have the same problem with the page background as well, that layer is locked too.

They are both .gif files, do I need (am I able) to convert them to make them editable?

Would appreciate some help please, my knowledge of both programs is limited.

MAJ 21:46 31 Mar 2008

If they are gifs then they wont have layers, the original layered image from which the gif was made, has been 'flattened' and saved as a gif. What you'll have to do is isolate the bits you want to change the colour on, using the selection tool or magic wand tool, then change the colour within the selection. You will probably have to increase the colour depth to 16 million colours (24-bit), in order to do that. Then resave as a gif (or whatever).

Kemistri 22:01 31 Mar 2008

You may want to update them to PNGs, now that they are more widely supported. They have proper 24-bit RGB palettes, still provide transparency (though the alpha-channel transparency is not supported by IE6 or older - you can use a clear background layer instead) and can have very small file sizes when handled correctly. They make much nicer graphics than highly compressed JPEG ever can.

griffo 23:40 31 Mar 2008

Thanks for the replies.

Maj - the Header gif consists of a logo (letters with graded drop-shadows) and Text (Company name). I was only wishing to change the background colour. Wouldn't it be rather tricky trying to isolate these items by using magic wand or selection?

Kemistri - I have saved a copy as a .png - how would I then go about changing the background colour please?

MAJ 00:04 01 Apr 2008

"Wouldn't it be rather tricky trying to isolate these items by using magic wand or selection?"

I don't know how tricky it would be, griffo, I haven't seen the gif or png (that's a hint ;)).

Kemistri 00:32 01 Apr 2008

"How would I then go about changing the background colour please?"

However you do it in your image editor. You use Photoshop CS2; I use PSP X2, PI 11, and Draw X4, so I'll have to leave you to check your help files.

griffo 09:04 01 Apr 2008

I don't know how to attach a copy of it here, if that's what you're suggesting?

griffo 09:07 01 Apr 2008

I always try help files and Google searches to find answers before troubling anyone here. The reason I am asking these questions is because either I can't find the answers or don't understand the one's I've found.

Very often, asking the right question in the right way is the biggest problem a novice has, which makes finding the answers something of a lottery.

Kemistri 10:42 01 Apr 2008

You have missed my point: my point is that I am not in a position to tell you how to use your software any more than I would expect you to be able to use Draw X4. I have a spent a little while using CS3 and that's it. Photoshop is over-endowed with tutorials, websites, magazines, fora and books dedicated to telling you how to use it.

MAJ 11:00 01 Apr 2008

Hi griffo, Yes upload a picture of it to here (if that's okay by you) by using imageshack click here upload it to imageshack, click the "Host It" button, then post the "direct link" (from imageshack) into your reply box here. It will show as a 'click here' link.

griffo 12:43 01 Apr 2008

I don't know if I've done this right?

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017