Change audio out ?

Ian Clark 08:07 29 Mar 2007

Hi,

I have searched on change audio, switch audio etc, but cannot find out how to do what i want.

I have speakers and a usb headphones. All the time, the headphones playout, the speakers do not. This mostly ok, as i use the headphones all the time. But i want to switch between the headphones and the speakers. I have to unplug the usp headphones to do this. Is it possible to do this without unplugging the headphones? like a easy way to choose between headphones and speakers?

I am running Vista

I have tested the speakers and they are working ok

Thanks

Ian

Technotiger 08:18 29 Mar 2007

Hi, I have the same audio setup that you are looking for - except that my headphones are connected via mini-jack, not usb. I have 5.1 surround sound speakers and headphones permanently connected to my soundcard. I have put a single male to double female mini-jack adapter into the normal audio-out on sound-card, into which I have connected both the main woofer mini-jack (the five speakers are connected into the rear of the main woofer) and the headphones mini-jack. I can turn off the speakers from the controls on the front of the woofer and but still have the audio through the headphones.

This may not be exactly as per your own setup, but maybe just to give you an idea for yours.

Ian Clark 08:36 29 Mar 2007

Thanks,

but that wont do it for me.

The speakers connect via 3.5mm jack on soundcard, headphones are usb only. I am looking for how to switch between the two audio devices, but am too thick to figure it out. I have enabled/disabled clicked and pointed everything in the audio panel. Both devices are there, but i cant switch betwen them via pc rather than external hardware

Thanks anyway

ian

Ian Clark 08:38 29 Mar 2007

Or, even better, is there a way to set different applications to each device?

like, could i set itune to speakers and games/ip speach stuff to headphone? so play at the ame time games on headphones and tunes on speakers?

that would be cool.

ian

sea urchin 16:01 29 Mar 2007

Go to Settings > Control Panel > Multimedia > and under Playback - Preferred Device select VIA Audio (Wave) Device to listen via speakers or USB Sound Device for headphones. This way you can leave the headphones plugged in. I keep a shortcut to the Multimedia Properties on the desktop to speed up access. Afraid I don't know the answer to your second question.

Ian Clark 07:47 30 Mar 2007

Thanks, will try it later

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?