Change in Appearance of Windows Pages

thyde9337 23:15 29 Jan 2007

Several weeks ago I noticed changes in the appearance of certain Windows pages on my Dimension 4500 (XP) when they were opened. For example, the opening page of My Network Places ceased to display the blue panel listing Network Tasks etc. Similarly, the same change occurred with the opening pages of Control Panel, Recycle Bin, and My Computer, in each case the blue panel disappeared.. I suspect that the cause was an update of Windows XP. The corresponding pages open with the classic blue column on my Inspiron 8600 (XP). I would now like to reclaim the blue columns for these pages, please can someone tell me how this can be done?
T.Hyde
Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 512Mb DIMM, Windows XP, 20Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN, Dell Photo All-in-One printer.

Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, Scanjet 3300c, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN

Inspiron 8600, 1.4 Ghz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN

Netgear RP614 v2 router.

brundle 23:23 29 Jan 2007

Control Panel/System/Advanced, click Settings under Performance, scroll down the list, tick `Use common tasks in Folders`

birdface 00:57 30 Jan 2007

or try, control panel,/display/themes/Dropdown bar, Pick windows xp. Apply.If you dont want that one , Pick another,

brundle 01:03 30 Jan 2007

That won't turn the Common Tasks pane back on. A simpler way than my first suggestion is
Start Menu/Run, type

control folders

<press return>

Select `Show Common Tasks`, first item

thyde9337 23:23 02 Feb 2007

Thank you for your help. I have now resolved the problem by using Kelly's Korner, Windows Tips and Tweaks, No 78.

T.Hyde

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?