Chance of Vista upgrade ... worth taking ?

Dog_Star 20:27 21 Jan 2007

I'm just about to buy a new PC and I have an option of having a Vista upgrade if I take Windows Meda Centre - do you think it is worth it, or is staying with XP the best option ?

Kate B 20:28 21 Jan 2007

take the upgrade - why not? Vista is a nice OS.

sean-278262 20:33 21 Jan 2007

Out of interest could someone who has the offer of an upgrade allow someone using just XP home to upgrade their computer who doesnt have the upgrade coupon?

Something I have been wondering for weeks now since MS said they would be doing it.

ed-0 20:33 21 Jan 2007

I'm the same as you. I got a new lappy with media centre, as a present and have the option to get a free ( less P%P ) vista upgrade.

Go for it, it'll cost you around £12.50. You don't have to install it, yet;-)

ed-0 20:36 21 Jan 2007

Sorry, don't quite understand your drift;-(

Do you mean if some one has the free upgrade disk and doesn't wish to upgrade their computer. That could the disk be used on a different computer with just XP home?

sean-278262 21:13 21 Jan 2007

Exactly that ed-0 just something I have wondered about since the announcement of the upgrade scheme and seen no mention of if it is possible.

ed-0 21:25 21 Jan 2007

I can only tell you what I guess will happen in my case. It's a little bit of information and a bit of guess work.

the old girl bought me a compaq core2 duo laptop from PC World. ( My mate works there and advised her on the best deal ). PC World don't give out vouchers as such, but the receipt is proof of an upgrade disk.

Because it is a HP / Compaq model. HP are or were going to ship there own upgrade disk to match the computer purchased. This would mean that not only should we get the Vista home premium upgrade but it should also contain all the vista drivers we need for the machine.

So what I am saying and what I think may happen for those with the HP / Compaq badge label is

The disk you get, may be tied down to the machine you have bought. It may contain a trigger that needs to recognise the HP / Compaq installation before it will load on to the system.

Most is guess work from the few facts available.

sean-278262 21:35 21 Jan 2007

I guess time will tell. Have to look into it. I guess. Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?