cgi

geewhizz06 17:28 25 Oct 2006

I have a webform that I have created using some old software WebExpress.
I can see it on the website but after completing the form nothing happens.
The software has a dialog box which says:..........
The form handler uses a cgi script named 'mvforms.cgi'.
The server has a location of cgi-shl which I can access and have specified this in the wizard for the form as to where it will be stored.

What do I need to do and can anyone help with the script that I need to put in this folder.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:17 25 Oct 2006

I use php for my forms, but I should imagine that it's the same process. You have to point the form to the file with the 'Action' tab. e.g. I would use "action=myform.php".

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong.

peabody 12:25 27 Oct 2006

I have used a script called formmail.pl (perl script) in the past which should be in your 'cgi-bin' folder - as, I would imagine, should mvforms.cgi. People advise against using these scripts these days as spammers can get up to nasty tricks with them. This is probably why barryoneoff suggests using a php script.

Anyway, if you use formmail.pl it needs to be CHMOD'd via your FTP program to 755. This probably also applies to mvforms.cgi.

With formmail.pl you have to edit it with a text editor to configure such variables as path to perl, path to sendmail, domain(s) which can run the script, valid recipients. Maybe you have to do this with mvforms.cgi as well???

It's a bit messy - I find form processing tends to be! Hope this helps a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?