c'est possible?

spaceball 04:34 07 Mar 2006

ok, so i'm not an absolute idiot but i tend to get things muddled! i've got a new spangly dell pc thats running XP and an ancient packard bell that's running 98. is it at all possible to network them? they're right next to eachother so cables aren't a problem i just want to be able to store some things safely away from the dell computer that im constantly downloading onto, and i also have a dvd and cdrw drive in the ancient pc that i would like to be able to use thru the new one. is this possible??

mgmcc 09:17 07 Mar 2006

There shouldn't be any problem networking the two computers and the most basic way of doing this is to connect them directly using a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable. The new PC will almost certainly already have a network adapter installed, but it may be necessary to plug a network card into a spare PCI slot on the older PC's motherboard.

<<< i also have a dvd and cdrw drive in the ancient pc that i would like to be able to use thru the new one. is this possible? >>>

That might be a case of "try it and see". I've never tried network sharing a CD/DVD drive and although it might work OK for reading disks, I suspect you would have problems trying to burn disks over the network. As PCs have a CD/DVD drive built in, I cannot see the merit in accessing an optical drive in a remote PC over the network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?