Certain Webpages will not open

cree 14:33 06 Sep 2007

Hi

Yesterday we switched our broadband provider from talktalk to bt. We have 5 computers running on a wireless network and have experienced problems with 2 of them.

A laptop and tablet pc on the networks are having problems opening certain webpages, such as my charitys website click here, However sites such as click here will open fine. this only happens on the laptop and tablet the desktops have no trouble.

I have tried to ping the websites and it says cannot find the ones that dont open, its very strange that some will open however some will not. please help!

Thanks in advance

Will

brundle 14:41 06 Sep 2007

Concentrate on one of the problematic machines at a time. What results do you get if you use `tracert` instead of ping?

cree 14:45 06 Sep 2007

"Unable to resolve target system name" For my charity website

Thats for the laptop which ill concentrate on.

Google works fine and shows pings etc

brundle 14:47 06 Sep 2007

Are you pinging/tracerting(?) the IP address or the name? The IP you need is 80.249.110.127

If the commands work using the IP, it's a DNS problem

cree 14:52 06 Sep 2007

Thanks for the help

Ping works fine with the ip, how shall i fix the dns?

Thanks in advance

Will

brundle 14:55 06 Sep 2007

Start menu/run, type

services.msc

press return

Check DNS Client is started and set to auto.

Then go into Control Panel/Network Connections, right click your current connection, select Properties, highlight TCP/IP, click Properties, make sure Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS address automatically are ticked.

cree 14:58 06 Sep 2007

Ah legend!

Thanks alot for the help

Will <3

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?