Certain videos won't run

picklefactory 22:18 21 Nov 2006

Recently started having problems with some videos (For around a month now). PC games that load and show a video on boot, now only provide sound, games run fine, just no videos, also some video screensavers are now sound only, including one I use at work with no problem, and brought home. Existing mpegs/wmv videos run OK through WMP, can't find any other issues on my pc. I have XP Pro SP2, AVG, ZA Pro, Spybot, Adaware, Ccleaner, non of which have thrown up any issues and are run regularly. I know I can do a system restore, but I prefer to see if I can nail and understand the issue before resorting to that.
Am I missing something dumb, folks?
Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:41 21 Nov 2006

click here may help and check that your graphic card is not set to 16 bit color. Change your graphic card to 32 bit color.

Downloading the K-Lite codec pack may help as well......click here

G

picklefactory 23:28 21 Nov 2006

Thanks Gandalf, but no joy. Took me a while 'cause router decided to play up and needed reboot. I'm already at 32 bit colour (Hope I'm not being thick, I assume that's desktop>properties>settings>colour quality), d/loaded k-lite, installed, no difference I'm afraid.

woodchip 23:43 21 Nov 2006

What Video Player are you using? Is it Media Player or Power DVD?

Picklefactory 23:56 21 Nov 2006

Errr, I was half way through typing that I have Power DVD but use WMP, when I thought, how do I know?? I remember having had an issue previously where things wouldn't run through PDVD unless running simultaneously through WMP, or something like that, until I lowered the performance acceleration settings, and that issue went away. But WMP seems fine with mpegs and wmv files, only certain videos seem to be affected.

Ptolemy 00:01 22 Nov 2006

click here

Follow the link for the Codec Detective (download link is about halfway down) - when you run it it will check all your pc for all codecs (video and audio) and tell you if any are defective.

If it finds any errors try Goggling on the name for a download site.

Picklefactory 00:11 22 Nov 2006

Thanks Ptolemy, have run that now, if I've done it correctly, then it has highlighted no issues, just a list of details for all the codecs I have installed.

Picklefactory 08:07 22 Nov 2006

Bump

woodchip 11:51 22 Nov 2006

You could try Removing PDVD then reload it, Make sure that you delete any left over files folders before you reload

Picklefactory 11:57 22 Nov 2006

I'll try that later, at work now, I don't use PDVD as far as I know, unless it is defaulting for certain file types. I'll sack it when I get home and see if it makes any difference.
Ta

Picklefactory 17:51 22 Nov 2006

Nope, I'm afraid that didn't work either. Still no difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?