Certain folders forget their settings

kinney 21:33 26 Apr 2004

The "My Computer" and My Music" folders, plus some sub-folders in My Pictures, are frequently forgetting their view settings.

My Computer and My Music are supposed to show tiles and often open with thumbnails instead. My Computer also has Show in Groups and Arrange by Type selected and these settings get lost too. The sub-folders in My Pictures are set to thumbnail view and randomly open in slideshow view.

The "Remember each folder's view" box is always checked and I've never used the Reset button at the top of the folder options.

Any help much appreciated. K

kinney 23:12 26 Apr 2004

^ bump ^

woodchip 23:16 26 Apr 2004

What OS. If 98se go to Explorer View\Folder Options\click clasic go to view and press like currant folder if that's how you want it

kinney 23:32 26 Apr 2004

Hi woodchip - Sorry; the OS is XP. Been using it so long, it didn't occur to me. I didn't know anyone still used Win98 ;)

woodchip 23:36 26 Apr 2004

I think settings are the same

kinney 23:37 26 Apr 2004

BTW - I have around 200 folders, many of which have different views, so I'm reluctant to reset them all. I also have TweakUI; I've looked at its settings and I'm pretty sure there's nothing there that could affect it. The number of folder views to remember is set at 500.

woodchip 23:46 26 Apr 2004

This is just in companies, not home users useclick here

kinney 21:31 27 Apr 2004

Has anyone else experienced this kind of glitch and found the solution?

pc moron 23:34 27 Apr 2004
  ade.h 15:24 25 Jun 2004

Hello all - I've just found this thread in a search, because I have been experiencing the same problem! I also used TweakUI, but have removed it in case the setting that Kinney used was somehow at fault; no joy, though. I've looked at the KB article suggested by pc moron and checked the appropriate registry values, but they seem to be correct. I only have about 80 folders anyway. It seems to most affect folders with unusual settings; ie. my MP3s listed in details view or folders that have various different objects arranged in groups. Has anyone else had the same problem and found a cure?

Jackcoms 15:40 25 Jun 2004

I had this problem with XP late last year and started a thread in this Forum but without any solution being found.

I decided to live with it as an annoyance rather than a life-threatening problem.

However, in late December I had reasons to do a HDD format and complete re-install of Windows, Office, etc, etc.

Oddly enough the problem has now gone away!

A drastic fix perhaps, but ....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone