Centrino Processors

Seadog 00:02 27 Apr 2005

I have been looking at various laptops recently and am slightly confused with the different types of processors available. I am mainly interested in Intel rather than AMD but there seem to be three types, Pentium 4, Centrino and Celeron. Celeron I understand is a type of budget processor, but the Centrino versus Pentium 4 - why do I not see speeds of 3.06GHz with a Centrino cpu, the same as a Pentium 4? The laptops with Centrino processors only seem to go to 2.13GHz or thereabouts, are these as powerful as the P4 3...GHZ or what? I know that power consumption is a major issue with laptops but I am looking for a desktop replacement with decent all round performance (I travel abroad for about eight months of the year) Any advice will be welcome and appreciated.

powerless 00:08 27 Apr 2005

Don't let the clock speed fool you they are very capable processors.

fitcher 11:49 27 Apr 2005

the intel centrino note books are good and with a good graphics card are realy good ,,I am surprised at the performance of my laptop ,I have built my own computers and upgraded over the years ,and only recently have I bought a laptop .in my desktop pc I use a radion pro 9600graphics card ,and in my laptop is a 9700 amd mobile ,it is definately faster than my 9600 pro .I am realy surprisd at that .I have tried it in unreal and a lot of other games,and same .when I bought this from d I only asked for a 40 gb hard disk that reduced the price a little .now people are realising that an external hard drive is cheap .or an upgrade to a bigger capacity drive is easy to do on a laptop laptop . I think there is a difference in speed and graphics .graphics can mean the clarity of the game not the speed ,what we need is both ,

Seadog 12:32 27 Apr 2005

OK. I am thinking of now possibly getting a new laptop but the so-called advance in processor speed seems to have stopped. My present laptop has a P111 1GHz processor 9with 32Mb graphics)but the new ones all seem around a centrino 1.8 (ish) GHz which is a lot (?????) slower than my home built pc with a P4 3.2Ghz processor and 256Mb graphics. Will a Centrino 2GHz M 760 or whatever offer similar performance to my home machine (coupled with a 256Mb graphics card)? I don't play a lot of games but I want to make sure that I am not buying something thats only fractionally better than my present laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone