Centrino or Pentium 4 (or AMD?!)?

Pedlow 21:00 10 Aug 2005

Hi folks,

I am considering buying a new laptop and would like advice on which processor to go for. I quite like the sound of Intel's Centrino chip and am aware that it is well equipped for Wi-Fi Networking. However, I am also aware that the Pentium 4 processor is obviously the more powerful of the two.
Also, how do AMD chips fair when it comes to laptops?

Thanks.

Strawballs 21:09 10 Aug 2005

I am using an HP laptop running mobile AMD Athlon X64 3200+ more than happy

mattyc_92 21:10 10 Aug 2005

AMD are just as powerful as Intel, but cheaper......

Technotiger 21:29 10 Aug 2005

Hi, it is AMD for me every time!!

Cheers.

DieSse 23:08 10 Aug 2005

Centrino is not a processor chip - it's a specification for a laptop defining a set of facilities. Pentium4 Mobile processrs are the ones normally used I believe - but the spec of the laptop should define that clearly. The P4-M is bsically designed to use less power, but run faster due to a larger cache.

Personally I would go for a set up properly designed for laptops - Centrino.

Quote "Centrino Technology - Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology is Intel's patented technology designed specifically for mobile computing with built-in wireless LAN capability and breakthrough mobile performance. It also enables extended battery life and sleek, easy-to-carry notebook PCs. This is Intel's first integrated computing technology designed from the ground up for wireless notebook PCs. With Intel Centrino mobile technology, three components work together to deliver a breakthrough in freedom and connectivity. These components include the Intel® Pentium® M processor, the Intel® 855 Chipset Family and the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2100 network connection."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone