Centrino

Sturmey 00:09 29 Apr 2003

If I understand it right (I proably don't) centrino chips are Pentium 4 m processors with Wifi built in, so I wont need to buy a separate wifi card that would usually fit into a pcmia slot on my laptop.

I will still need to get a wifi base unit if I want to connect my laptop to my home network for surfing without wires etc.

Also I believe centrino chips use less power

Just looking for confirmation on my ignorance of this matter, haven't really got a direct question sorry.

Sturmey

DieSse 01:11 29 Apr 2003

The horses mouth click here&

temp003 06:11 29 Apr 2003

You are right overall.

However, the processor is in fact not a Pentium 4 M, but a new processor called just Pentium M.

For a laptop to sport the Centrino label, it needs 3 things (1) a Pentium M processor; (2) Intel 855 chipset; (3) Intel's own wireless LAN mini-PCI card.

The processor is the most important (and the 855 chipset naturally comes with it). It is no longer a rehash of the desktop processor, but a new design which gives it high efficiency in terms of productivity and power management, even at a lower clock speed (at the moment up to 1.6GHz I think) than Pentium 4 M.

Some manufacturers have made laptops with their own (and not Intel's) wireless card, and as a result cannot call the laptops Centrino, but still use the Pentium M processor and 855 chipset. These laptops are just as good, and so don't limit your choice to "true" Centrino models. The thing to look for is really the Pentium M processor.

Sturmey 14:24 29 Apr 2003

For clearing that up, it was very helpful

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone