Centralizing bookmarks/favorites on network

Epirb406 19:39 22 Mar 2005

Two at once (is that allowed?)

Just wondered if anyone had a good strategy for using bookmarkfiles on various computers around the network, ie, if I add it as a favorite on one can I get the file to update on others on the network.

Cheers, Epirb.

stebinnersley 20:32 22 Mar 2005

I would love to know how to do this as well.

BigMoFoT 12:19 23 Mar 2005

pretty sure you can do this using group policy in windows 2000 but obvioulsy you would need a domain.

What I think would happen is that links are specified by the domain admin and new ones are added by request.

You could use a roaming profile that way all your favourites, desktop icons etc go with you wherever you log in. Depending on your network and the size of your profile logging in may take some time and network performance may be reduced.

But you'd def need a domain controller.

Epirb406 19:54 23 Mar 2005

over my head Bigmofot, sorry, any links that could show me the way?

Seems a long winded way aroud a simple problem!

Thanks, Epirb.

Epirb406 22:28 14 Apr 2006

ANyone any more ideas?

Thnx, Epirb.

mgmcc 08:24 15 Apr 2006

Use a synchronisation program to 'sync' the Favorites folder between computers. Have a look at "Allway Sync" - click here

I do use Allway Sync for other synchronisation tasks, but for favourites I just export the list from my main computer periodically and import it into the others.

splatter 00:01 21 Apr 2006

How does IE store favorites/bookmarks? I always thought that they were stored in somewhere like 'c:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data' or similar. Point being, I think they are saved in a folder...correct?

If so, the location for the bookmarks/favorite must be saved somewhere - I'm guessing the registry. So if you could change that on wach computer to reference a network share then all instances of IE would be calling on the same folder.

I don't know if this would work, maybe somebody could try it.

Jay

jjkim5 18:51 08 May 2006

Well I search web for same question and found this forum.
the solution I found is from client user's computer
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User ShellFolders

change the favorites location to
%LOGONSERVER%\Favorites

I assume that the client's computer has domain controlled setup and you login as a user.

and make sure that
HKEY_CRRENT_USER\Volatile Environment\LOGONSERVER value is setup to your server

This works. Basically the computer will saved favorites to the server rather than the client's computer. HOWEVER the problem is when you open the web browser, it opens slow. I mean it takes about 5-10 sec (depends on favorites list) to open IE.

So I'm looking for better way to do this.

Let's share some ideas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017