celeron or pentium for new PC

dmm27 15:59 03 Feb 2006

Need a new PC and have decided to get it from local PC shop.

I only use it for office and internet, dont have multiple apps open. I also want to do occasional basic video editing, by which I mean transfer from DV camcorder and burn to DVD, and not try and make blockbuster films! I'm quite happy to go away for a while when it does the final render.

Which should I get:-

Celeron 2.53, 775 socket MSI mobo, 80GB 7200HDD, 512MB, DVD-RW, integrated graphics, 1yr RTB, XP, for £340.

or

Intel P4 3GHz, socket 775 MSI mobo, 160GB, 512MB, DVD-RW, integrated graphics, 1yr RTB, XP, for £470.

They would also fit my old 30GB HDD, 2nd CD and Firewire card at the same time.

I know that the faster is probably the better, but it is £130 more, and I expect that a few years ago, or less even, the celeron was being touted as fine for doing some video editing on.

Dont try to pursuade me to go online! I have been previously had fingers burnt by faulty PC that involved going to Trading Standards and Small Claims to get money back. I know there are bargains out there, but these become much less of a bargain when you have to pay to send your PC back etc.

Dave

Diodorus Siculus 16:12 03 Feb 2006

I'd still go with the Pentium even with the price difference - it will give you a more psoitive computing experience all round.

Vdeo editing is ok - when it comes to video encoding you will need something more powerful

Whicever you go for, get plenty of RAM; it's pretty cheap at the moment.

Diodorus Siculus 16:14 03 Feb 2006

Oh, and try to get a motherboard that will allow you to add a graphics card (pci-express or AGP) because one day you might want to.

dmm27 20:09 03 Feb 2006

mobo apparently has agp and PCI-E, so seems relatively future proof in both cases.

Could argue that might be better of saving £130, and potentially get processor upgrade in a while when prices drop.

Actually seems quite hard to see why the pentium is £130 more exxpensive. The processor seems to be about £60 more, but the HDD is potentially only abotu £20.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?