CDRW stuck in mid burn

Pezcp 22:09 18 Jan 2003
  Pezcp 22:09 18 Jan 2003

I am currently using a Phillips CDRW 4800 series cd-rw. and have just been trying to back up my audio collection. Everthing has been going fine but at this very time the cdrw is stuck in mid writing. How can I stop the process without ruining the CDRW itself? I have cancelled the burning process but the CDRW seems not to have noticed.!!

'Kinell 12:13 19 Jan 2003

This happened to me last week, Twice !! I had to switch the PC off in mid burn as it wouldn't stop. I found the problem to be that the burning speed was too high. I was trying to burn at 48X, when I replaced the CDR and tried again at 32X everything was fine. Usually disks have a speed rating written on them, but mine don't. I use Nero and it's supposed to only allow you to burn at speeds supported by the CDR you have inserted, so although 48X was available, it still locked my burner until the speed was reduced.

Hope this helps

krislas 12:59 19 Jan 2003

I have also had this problem. I turned my PC off, the used then end of a paper clip as indicated in the CDRW drive instruction book to eject the CD manually, which had to become a coaster. I found that reducing the amount I burn at a time has prevented this problem.

Pezcp 19:10 19 Jan 2003

Thanks guys problem solved. reducing speed does seem to work better

Cosmic Guerilla 21:16 19 Jan 2003

Thanks Pezcp for that posting and 'Kinell & krislas for those replies, I have been having the exact same problem.

My CD-RW drive is described as :HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B

My problem is that when I try to amend the write speed in either Roxio Copier or Roxio Easy CD Creator the program will not let me. These are the Basic Roxio programs pre-installed on a Dell XP pc.

i.e. When I click on the write speed option there should be a pull down list of speed options. It lets me click on it OK but it only provides me with one write speed option of 40x (6000 KB/sec). Marvellous! Has anyone any suggestions for this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?