CD/RW

Somaht 14:17 31 Mar 2006

I use a lot of CD/Rs with no prob. Recently I have tried CD/RWs but every time I insert into my CD player I get the message " no cd" Any ideas what is the problem

Samoht?

rmcqua 14:34 31 Mar 2006

They can be a bit "fussy" sometimes, especially if your CD burner is an older one and the discs are of a dubious quality.

rawprawn 14:58 31 Mar 2006

I think they need to be formatted by a program such as Nero InCD.

Pineman100 15:17 31 Mar 2006

CD/RW's have always been a pain. It's not worth trying to use them - CD-R's are so cheap and reliable.

Smiler 15:24 31 Mar 2006

they don't have to be formatted to use them as a normal writable cd that can be erased after use but they do have to be formatted by a suitable program to use in a similar fashion to a floppy disk.

As rmcqua says some cd burners are fussy about media.

ACOLYTE 15:31 31 Mar 2006

Are you putting these into a stand alone cd player(hifi) or one on your pc?,if its stand alone some types dont support cd/rw disks.

pj123 15:31 31 Mar 2006

What operating system are you on? What CD Writer do you have. What burning software are you using?

You only need to format CD/RW disks if you want to use them like a very large floppy disk. I have never formatted a CD/RW I just use them as a multisession disk.

CD/RW media is not the best to use. It is very unstable and I now do not use them anymore.

Stuartli 15:56 31 Mar 2006

The main problem with CD-RWs is that their reflectivity level is vastly lower than for a CD-R - hence the difficulty some CD/DVD-ROM drives have reading them.

Stick to CD-Rs and, if necessary, use them in multisession form to prevent undue waste of disk space until each disk is full. You then Finalise the disk before the final burning session.

Smiler 11:23 01 Apr 2006

Speak to us we're waiting for replies so we can help!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?