CDRs and Drives

-NickH- 14:29 16 Sep 2003

I know this is a really old question, but I was hoping there would be a clearer answer now that the CDR has been around for a few years...

Is there any performance differences between the dofferent CDR media (Silver, gold, blue, black, green...) There were roumours a few years ago that some were more compatible, and some lasted longer... etc.. Is there now a definitive answer?

The reason I ask is that I want to be able carry a CD around and be able to use it in almost any PC, so wanted to burn a CD which works in as many different drives as possible...

Thanks, Nick

-pops- 14:36 16 Sep 2003

I think the salient part of your question is "roumours a few years ago".

These days the quality and reliability of almost all CDRs is much improved over those of years ago and even though there may be small technical differences, I doubt that this would be apparent to the general user.

I can't say the same about CDRWs though as I don't know anything about them. Having had some very bad experiences with them in the past, I am not even offering them the chance to redeeem themselves.

So, buy reasonable quality, named brands and you should be OK. If your disks can't be read in some machines, it may well be the machine rather then the disk.

-NickH- 14:50 16 Sep 2003

Thanks - I've had the same problem with CD-RWs..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?