CDRom Playing tricks

Demora 09:32 30 Aug 2007

Hi.

My friend hs an old PC running win ME and when she plays some games her cdrom works fine, on others and audio cds its as if the player is running slow. As if she was playing an old 45 record at 33rpm.

The cdrom is a MATs_ita 586 (Panasonic) She isn't connected to the internet at all so I would have to download firmware. BUT I've been warned that this could ruin the cdrom.

TIA

D

johnnyrocker 10:21 30 Aug 2007

what memory on board and are any other programs running at the same time?

johnny.

muscic lover 10:43 30 Aug 2007

It sounds like the computer is lacking in RAM memory to me, is the soundcard up to thte job too. Running windows Me is notoriously full of 'buggy' type problems.

Is there any other background tasks going on at the same time too? Possibly slowing tthe processor down.

Would this lady like help to get online though... amybe you could assist her with this! Or take the PC to your abode and upgrade from there....

Stuartli 10:53 30 Aug 2007

You don't need "firmware" for a CD-ROM drive, just the basic Windows CDROM driver.

Try Uninstalling the drive in Device Manager and rebooting. Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic driver.

One other possible cause could be a slack drive belt in the CD-ROM or the laser on its way out.

johnnyrocker 10:54 30 Aug 2007

not sure if ME has the capability?

johnny.

Demora 11:39 30 Aug 2007

Ah Thank you. There are some very good pointers there.

I will check everything out for her tomorrow as my friend lives in Devon and I'm in Hampshire. I shall see her this weekend though.

Thank you all.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?