c:\drive filling up XP

logix 14:54 20 Feb 2010

Everyday i am having to run diskcleanup, due to my c drive filling up. the drive seems to add an extra 100mb a day.
What is doing this, and how can i keep it a level size. I have deleted my restore points, i know this can use disk space. But what else could be doing this. i find it really annoying.
without running a disk cleaning program the whole of my drive will eventually become full.

johndrew 15:08 20 Feb 2010

Have you gone to `My Computer/C:` and right clicked on `Windows`? it should be around the 8GB mark if it is similar to mine (XP Pro SP3).

I had a very large amount of `dross` in the Windows file from updates and RegScrubXP click here was recommended to me. Click on `RegScrupXP Finds Problems` and, when it has finished its scan, `Select All Problems` followed by `Fix Selected Problems`. It clears a lot of space - or at least it did for me.

VoG II 15:15 20 Feb 2010

I had this once click here

Tracelog click here

GaT7 15:49 20 Feb 2010

What anti-virus do you use? If AVG, I sometimes find the following folder filling-up: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg9\Dumps. Deleting its contents is safe.

You can also safely delete the contents of the following folder: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download. It's to do with Windows Update. Last time I checked there was almost 1Gb in there.

Also, like johndrew suggests, you can delete all the Windows Update uninstall folders from the C:\Windows directory, but don't delete the $hf_mig$ folder. You'll need to enable 'Show hidden files & folders' in Folder Options in order to view/delete these folders. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?