CDDVDW requires driver

Ventad 16:26 05 Aug 2008

O/S Vista for some reason after updating NERO 7 Essentials, everytime I boot up I get the message "TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S202J ATA DEVICE needs a driver" if I click Locate and install it cant find one, If I click either 'Ask again later' or 'don't show this message again' the new disc shown in My Computer as CD Drive E:\ and not CDDVD-W disapears and in Device Manager under DVD CD ROM Drives the item TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S202J ATA DEVICE also dissapears and reappears in other devices.

If I uninstall from Other Devises and reboot it appears in the DVD CD ROM Drives. when it is there and check the properties it says this item is running normally.
any ideas please

Ventad 16:41 05 Aug 2008

I have uninstalled Nero and reinstalled and still get the same

jack 17:42 05 Aug 2008

Try this
click here
or Google up HP Support

Ventad 16:12 06 Aug 2008

Thanks for that but I had already been to that site, my computer is a made up one, it (the CDDVDW Drive) has been working ok since last november. I have dowloaded the nero 7 clean tool used that and then loaded it on again but it is still the same. If when asked to search for driver it cannot find it, if I click do not ask again it removes from 'my computer' and from dvd drives in device manager to other devices and removes the driver???

crosstrainer 16:24 06 Aug 2008

Some generic DVDRW drives tsst corp being one, are not properly recognised by Nero. The Nero Scout tool is the culprit here, and I'm not sure that you have uninstalled it just by removing Nero essentials.

Look in programmes and features and see if it's listed on its own. If so remove it.

The other option is to replace your DVDRW with a slightly better one...Won't cost the Earth:

click here

Ventad 16:40 06 Aug 2008

Just looked Nero scout is not on its own it is in Nero7 essentials\tools.
Looking at the link even if I went for the £20 DVDW it still comes with Nero.

crosstrainer 16:44 06 Aug 2008

Yes, but the drive will work with it. Before that try this:

Uninstall Nero as before.

Download and run:

click here

And:

click here

Run the cleaning tools for the registry after uninstalling Nero, and see if your drive returns to normal. If it does, then consider a new one

Backup the registry prior to the cleaning as prompted.

woodchip 16:47 06 Aug 2008

I think as above you will find the DVD driver is linked to Nero. If its a SE cut down NERO that was supplied with the Drive then you have to use another Program to Write DVD's or buy the NERO driver

sunny staines 16:48 06 Aug 2008

i was advised to steer well clear of nero7 on vista apparently causes many problems and get nero8, oem versions are very cheap under £10

Jak_1 16:49 06 Aug 2008

Also look here:

click here

jack 16:54 06 Aug 2008

Then live without it.
XP will burn CD's on its own and a freeby such as click here XP Pro does the DVD's
What about Vista can that burn DVD's or does that need a third party burner?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?