CD/DVD ROM drive will not read DVD's.

MagentaMagic 19:15 04 Mar 2009

I'm sorry, I'm sure this problem has been reported on more than one occasion but I can't find anything that helps me when browsing through the threads...

Okay, I have no idea about laptops and technical speak so apologies if I sound a bit simple!!

I have a Compaq Presario C500 with a dual cd/dvd rom drive. I am operating on Vista Home Premium (64bit I think).

Yesterday I put the Sims 2 (which is running all expansions except one and is the DVD rom version) in for my neice and the disk would not load up. The drive whirred for a bit like it was starting up, then clicked for a second and then gave up. I had had this game in the night before whilst looking after my neice and it was working just fine. So I tried an audio CD and a short movie DVD and they both worked fine but, despite hours of trying, still had no luck with the game.

I tried it again today and the drive will still not read it only now it will not read any DVD at all, although audio CD's work just fine.

I have checked Device Manager and it is stated that the cd/dvd rom drive and it's controllers are working okay. I uninstalled and reinstalled them anyway but this made no difference. Then I reset BIOS to default state and this made no difference. I then updated all my drivers but nothing is working!!!

I do have custom content installed for the Sims game but after downloading and installing into the game the night before last I loaded it up to check that gameplay was not glitchy and everything was working. So I am assuming it is not that and rather a problem with the drive itself. But what??

I am hoping that I am not going to be told that I need to have the drive replaced and that is is something that has just gone wrong that I may be able to fix myself...

When I turned the laptop on to start the Sims up last night my partner was the last person to use the computer and he had shut it down correctly. Yet when I switched the power on I got a black screen and a menu asking me which operating system I would like to run off... I selected Vista as this is the only option available... Is it likely that this may have something to do with it?? I am just confused as we have had no problems with the drive at all until yesterday and we have never had a screen asking which operating system we would like to use and now the drive will only accept audio cd's...

Any ideas would be most welcomed.

Thanks,
Fiona

MAT ALAN 19:35 04 Mar 2009

CD and DvD lasers run at difetent wavelengths it might be that the DvD part of the pickup head is busted...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017