CD/DVD Readers and Writers:

TN 12:04 24 Apr 2009

I am running Windows XP with 1GB RAM and a 500GB Hard Disk. I have a CD/DVD Reader and a CD/DVD Reader/Writer. However in the last month or so if I am running a Disk Writing programme of any sort, when I am asked to put in a blank DVD or CD the computer freezes as soon as the disk is inserted. This also happens whenever I am running any programme that requires the original disk to be inserted. To make matters even more difficult it occasionally occurs whenever I simply insert a disk to read or install a programme from. All my connections are 100% and I can see no reason why this is happening. Has anyone had the same experience or any idea what the solution might be. All hep sincerely appreciated. I know I can cure thjis by having the CD/DVD already inserted whenever I am booting up but this is not an acceptable solution.

wotbus@ 12:53 24 Apr 2009

You could try d/l this and run it:
click here

wotbus@ 13:11 24 Apr 2009

Another try:
Disconnect the drives (internaly) - reboot - power down - reconnect the drives - reboot and XP will find them again.
Another possibility is Malware:
click here
Try also to run a system file check:
Run "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. You may be asked for your installion CD.
Try also to run the RegCleaner section of CCleaner:
click here

TN 18:27 24 Apr 2009

Thanks for the suggestions - I ran the Autoplay on both drives - no problems shown: I uninstalled the two drives - rebooted and Windows re-installed: still same fault. Ran the C Cleaner Reg Cleaner and still the confounded thing stops dead. Yesterday I removed the CD from the drive and went away and left it for about 2 hours to see if it would clear itself but when I came back it was as I left it. This is driving me bananas! I think a pint of petrol and a match and dig out the house insurance policy will be the answer LOL!! I run a Virus Check (Comodo) and a Malware check every day so it cannot be that! Anyway thank you for your time and effort - I appreciate it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:31 24 Apr 2009

Run regedit and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

TN 16:24 25 Apr 2009

I don't know how many times in the past I have had to thank you Fruit Bat/\0/\ but once again you have come up trumps! All working 100% - as usual I have no idea what you told me to do - I just did it and it has cured the problem. Again thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone