CD/DVD Drive Wont Read Blank DVD's

MUTID 12:43 24 Feb 2008

Hello

I have recently been wanting to burn a movie onto a DVD. I downloaded a burning program and inserted a blank DVD. But my Drive would not read the disk and kept telling me to insert a writeable media. My drive is a:

Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R1202

I did some research and found out that there are different types of DVD disk. DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. I did some more research to find out what my drive accepts and found out that it accepts them all.

I have heard many things that could be wrong:

Some brands of DVD may not be recognised (I am using Tesco DVD's)

A DVD ROM driver wont recognise a blank DVD (my driver is a DVD ROM)

Are these statements true or is there another reason.

Thanks for your help

Stuartli 12:53 24 Feb 2008

You will NEVER burn a disk using a DVD-ROM drive - it's read only. It certainly won't be able to read a blank disk either as there's nothing on it...:-)

You need a DVD rewriter, which will also be able to write to CDs.

A new, top brand DVD rewriter is under £20 these days.

Stuartli 12:55 24 Feb 2008

A rewriter will be labelled as a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive - the specification will inform you as to what blank disks it can write to and the speeds available.

Stuartli 12:57 24 Feb 2008

Here's some examples of internal (ID) DVD-RW rewriters:

click here

MUTID 13:02 24 Feb 2008

So I need to buy a DVD Rewriter and replace it for my current Drive. Then it will read blank DVD's and I will be able to burn things onto them.

Sea Urchin 13:15 24 Feb 2008

Depending on your PC setup you can probably add the DVD Rewriter to your system. As Stuartli says you will never be able to read blank DVDs as there's nothing on them to read, but you will certainly be able to write to them

MUTID 13:18 24 Feb 2008

I was thinking of buying this external DVD Rewriter Drive

click here

Would this work?

Stuartli 20:29 24 Feb 2008

You can use both a ROM drive and a rewriter on the Secondary IDE Channel IDE cable - the rewriter will be the Master and the ROM the Slave (set the jumpers at the rear of each drive).

By doing this you will be able to use the ROM drive for audio disks, software installation and similar tasks and keep the rewriter purely for burning purposes.

Normally Windows will automatically set the rewriter as the D drive and the ROM as E if you have only one hard drive.

Having both drives as internal models is much neater and more convenient.

jacm 14:54 11 Jul 2008

I think this is related, but in my case I have a Asus desktop with DVD RW drive and a Dell laptop (quite recent) with the same. I can write files to 'old' CD-Rs (i.e. CDs I have with space on them ) but not to brand spanking new Imation DVD-RW 4x compatible with 4,7gb capacity. There is some small print on the box saying I made need some Firmware. The driver on the desktop is Lite-on DVDRW SHW - 16H5S and on the Laptop HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GSA -T21N. Are these new DVD-RWs the wrong ones for files and only for film or, any other ideas?

Stuartli 16:07 11 Jul 2008

You won't be able to write to "old" CD-R disks, unless they have been used in multisession mode and you can still call up the original multisession folder (having Saved the folder's contents between each session).

If you really do mean firmware (rather than software) it's best to avoid installing the latest unless absolutely necessary - get it wrong and the optical drive will probably only be fit for the dustbin.

You probably need/mean a burning program such as Nero; Nero 6 still works well for me for burning CDs and DVDs.

Or there are freeware alternatives such as CDBurner XP:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?