cd/dvd drive missing in windows xp

granite 16:43 22 Mar 2005

my cd-rewriter & dvd rom have suddenly vanished from my computer. they were there one minute & gone the next.has anyone got any ideas please

howard60 16:46 22 Mar 2005

go into control panel - system - hardware devices - device manager - look at cd drives and delete them. Reboot the pc and with luck they will be detected and installed on boot up.

roisin dubh 16:49 22 Mar 2005

Had similar sort of prob due to a faulty motherboard (not saying your motherboard faulty) but mine had a missing blob of solder where drive cable mounted onto mobo, every so often drives would just disappear, had to open case and unplug and replug cable to get it to find drive again, eventually needed to change mobo, just another possibility for you to ponder

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 22 Mar 2005

1. Check ide cable secure at motherboard end and in rear of drives.

2. Power to drives ok (PSU fault)

3. Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.) Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie