cd/dvd drive missing!

theDarkness 23:12 07 Jun 2010

my dvd drive icon has disappeared, so i cant play any cds/dvds.

I tried uninstalling the dvd drive/removing it from device manager, but the system still cannot find the drivers needed anywhere, after a restart it states that it cant find anything better than what I have already- despite now having nothing for it supposedly installed. the device is "ATAPI DVD dd 2x16x4x16". any ideas? I havent installed anything new lately. the dvd drive still shows fine from startup if I hold delete-any ideas on how to get it working again? I cant use the microsoft help as that requires sp3, and many of my programs havent been updated to run with that yet, so im sticking to sp2-until I eventually update to 7! thanks for any help

T I M B O 00:58 08 Jun 2010

All the software i had with sp 2 works just fine with sp3. Without sp 3 you miss out on lots os security fixes and updates for other things like cd & dvd roms.

Get clicking>> click here

gazzaho 05:53 08 Jun 2010

You may have a problem with registry entries relating to your drive, cd/DVD software sometimes changes the registry entries when you install/uninstall it which leaves the system unable to detect the drive properly.

I'm not saying this is your problem but you may want to read this article (click here) relating to the upper and lower filter entries in the registry, the fix may work for you.

theDarkness 14:25 21 Jun 2010

I forgot to say I gave up in the end and reinstalled xp, and updated to sp3. no problems since. Im certain it wasnt a virus, supposedly everything was ok according to the programs I had installed (adaware/avira/malwarebytes/sywareblaster). It must have been some program causing issues with the related drive.

I need to replace this old system soon, since it doesnt always boot I think its power supply is on its way out too. if I do get 7 on a new system I will add an xp partition for all my non compatible software to run if there are no updates available.

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone