CDBurner XP and "the .NET framework"

br1anstorm 22:49 14 Jan 2008

I'm looking for a freeware CD/DVD burner to use on my Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop. I'm interested in CDBurnerXP, which seems to do all that I want. But I notice a very defensive comment on their website explaining that it also requires Microsoft's .NET framework to be installed ("although we know some people hate it").

What is the .NET framework (in layman's language) and why should people be wary of it? Is it another of Mr Gates' intrusive apps which reports back to MS HQ - or does it interfere with other programs?

Any comments (good or bad) on CDBurnerXP as a burning app? Or on other (free) alternatives? Any views on DeepBurner?

br1anstorm

brundle 23:43 14 Jan 2008

Net Framework is just a collection of libraries that allow programmers to create software using those libraries for common tasks, rather than re-inventing the wheel themselves for every application.

Both apps you mention are excellent free alternatives to products like Nero but there are others, info here; click here

eedcam 09:14 15 Jan 2008

Why bother with net framework use deep burner.If that suits your edds fine if not then try others

br1anstorm 11:30 15 Jan 2008

Thanks to both brundle and eedcam for your advice. I'm still debating which to choose. I see that DeepBurner Free can't do disk-to-disk copying (can CDBurnerXP do this?). And I'm still unclear whether either DB or CDBurnerXP can process CD-Text...

The search continues!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?