CD2 August 2003 Issue 96 locks up my computer

Pine Man 19:07 21 Jun 2003
Answered

Anybody had a problem with CD2 for August. Whenever I try to run it my computer freezes and since trying it I have had to re load a program which previously worked perfectly.

Jingleman 20:07 21 Jun 2003

Same here, except it is BOTH CD1 & CD2. Other CDs work ok.

Anyone else having same problems?

Jingleman 23:20 25 Jul 2003

I'm having exactly the same problem with the September CD.

It's not my drive, all other discs work OK. I have just had new HDD drive and loaded Win XP and all my programs back with no problems, just these past 2 months cover CDs from PC Advisor.

Anyone else having problems?

-pops- 06:39 26 Jul 2003

Not what magazine want to hear but I NEVER load free disks, cover disks, any disks on cornflake packets or anywhere else of the ilk.

I was caught many years ago by a cover disk destroying my Windows set up and I vowed then that I would never load another one. Looking in the "Dispose of Unwanted Inserts" bin in my local Tesco, a lot of other people think the same way.

Nowadays I've gone a little bit further with loading programs. If I see a program that I am tempted to load or buy, I always make a note of it and them think about it for a while - a week or so. In that time, more often than not, I realise that I don't want or need that program so I just forget about it.

There is little point in stuffing your machine with programs that you neither want or need just for the sake of it and, as you are experiencing, they can cause untold problems. Even if you remove the programs when you don't ant them any more, they invariably leave behind bits of rubbish that can cause havoc with future installations.

Keep it lean, clean and mean. Your computer with be faster and happier for it!

Brian

hoverman 07:51 26 Jul 2003

Agree 100%. My son-in-law had a similar problem with a cover disc a year or two ago so we both steer well clear of them.

powerless 08:07 26 Jul 2003

Well Your missing out on some good software IMHO.

It reminds me off "xx company are rubbish" But there one of the few who say that.

I only install (if anything) what i am going to use. So i would not (because i have no use for it) install accounting software.

I have downloaded and installed many programs from CD's, since (whenever it was) and now have my collection that i always have installed because they are all of use to me.

I have a trick which i have only just started doing. I'm using Windows XP with two 120GB HDD's. On a little 5GB partition i have a second install of XP. So any software i'm thinking of using or just want to see what its all about i install on the second install of XP. I have yet to come across any software that has messed up my computer.

HOWEVER! There was one jv16 powertools - Never again.

Trial, demo etc etc. I recenly installed NSW2003 and well didnt like it. So i uninstalled it... But on the second install of XP.

Anyway back to the problem... Close down all background programs and try again.

powerless 08:09 26 Jul 2003

My point is if you have the space. Do another install of XP...

Anything you want to try before putting in the main install. Try, trial it on the second install.

Also you dont have to have all the software off the CD on your computer.

powerless 08:13 26 Jul 2003
Answer

It could also be a faulty CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?