CD writer not seeing CD-Rs

Dave-W 15:08 25 Jan 2008

Hi,

I've got a fairly old Compaq presario running Windows XP. My CD writer will work as a CD ROM - it will play music CDs - but when I try to burn data to a CD-R, the PC says there is no CD-R in the drive, when there definitely is.

This never used to happen, then started to happen occasionally, and now happens every time I try to burn a CD-R.

I've tried different brands of CD-R and also swapped the CD writer for a different one that works fine in my friend's PC - I always get the same result.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance for your help!

Killo Bite 15:29 25 Jan 2008

if any CD Wtr Software and clean install ?
Post back with details of which burning software if any you use.

Dave-W 15:33 25 Jan 2008

One thing I know I have got is Roxio. I'll have a root around for any others and do as you suggest...

Ta!

User-1233372 09:56 27 Jan 2008

Hi :)
Try uninstalling the IDE Controller and reinstall it again.

Gav

Stuartli 10:43 27 Jan 2008

As it's an elderly system, it's most likely that the laser has given up its burning duties.

A new DVD rewriter, which will burn to both CDs and DVDs, costs less than £20 these days for the top brand, top speed models.

Just swap the drives over and then bootup - Windows will Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver for the new optical drive.

You could keep your present CD rewriter just to play audio CDs or install software - rewriters are best kept for their main duty i.e. burning to disks.

If you do, the rewriter will be the Master and the old rewriter the Slave. Install each in turn, rebooting in between; the rewriter will be D and the Slave will be E (if you only have one hard drive).

lofty29 11:07 27 Jan 2008

If you have tried a different cdwr then it sounds like a software problem, had the same with roxio some time ago, do not use it anymore nero is better

skidzy 11:10 27 Jan 2008

Check the drive has ;

Enable cd writing to this drive click here

Alternatively try removing any upper and lower filters,click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?