CD Writer not burning

flobby 16:11 04 Mar 2006

Hi all,
My Cd writer and DVD writer will only copy now and again, and sometimes only to CD-RW and DVD-Rw.
I get all sorts of differant error messages;Check disc for dirt and scratch's, Not enough space on disc;Cannot read disc;the blank disc you have inserted does not have enough space on it please insert a 4.4GB disc ( and the disc is 4.7GB.
I have tried 3 differant makes of disc in both CD & DVD
I have tried to copy from the RW disc to R disc and I get read complete, then the system freezes,
Could this be dirt inside the writers as the discs are spotless.
System Specs:-Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600);HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8480B [CD-ROM drive]
PHILIPS DVDR824P [CD-ROM drive].
Roxio Easy Media Creator 8.

Cheers Flobby

Stuartli 17:23 04 Mar 2006

Why do you list both as CD-ROM drives? Device Manager should state the model and type of drive in each case.

Dirt is unlikely to be a cause - drives are very well sealed apart from the short time the tray is open.

Have you checked all the leads and connections for firmness?

If these appear correct (and the drives are correctly listed in Device Manager) then uninstall both in Device Manager, reboot and Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver for each drive (all that is required - Roxio controls the use for burning purposes).

flobby 21:17 04 Mar 2006

I Used Belaric Advisor for the details of my Drives. and it gave me CD-Rom drives, but one is dvd
I have not used Device Manager (As I do not know how to)
I Have not checked all leads (Do you mean connections inside the Computer)
as I can copy now and again, I would think that the connections are OK

Stuartli 22:40 04 Mar 2006

Right click on My Computer on the Desktop>Properties>Hardware tab>Device Manager.

You will see an entry for CD/DVD drives.

Right clicking on each drive (open from the + button first) after highlighting it and, again clicking on Properties, will reveal whether it is working properly from the General tab.

You can Uninstall the drive(s) from the initial menu, exit and then Reboot.

Just because you can occasional copy properly doesn't necessarily mean that everything is in order.

flobby 23:03 04 Mar 2006

Hi Stuartli.
Done that and both drives state; This device is working properly.
If I uninstall the Drives(HOW???) Would I be able to use them as I have not got any drivers on CD, Can I get them online?

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:35 04 Mar 2006

Windows has the drivers as part of O/S and will reinstall the drives at bootup. To remove drives go to: control panel\system\hardware\devicemanager\cdrom drives right click on each drive and choose "uninstall
then reboot

Stuartli 23:59 04 Mar 2006

I have pointed out to flobby - twice - the method of Uninstalling and then Rebooting and that Windows will reinstall the basic drivers...:-)

Hertz Van Rentyl 00:17 05 Mar 2006

He\she still seemed unsure, just tried to be a bit more specific as to the method but if you want to be "El supremo" be my guest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017