CD writer insists no space on an empty disc

Trikie 22:09 09 Jan 2010

Roxio CD writer with XP SP2 has recorded perfectly for several years - until now. Trying to record 37GB of photos on an empty disc it keeps saying there is no room.

I've tried 2 discs and checked in Properties that they are empty.

Is there a fix for this?

eedcam 22:35 09 Jan 2010

37 g/byte Typo error I presume

DieSse 22:43 09 Jan 2010

No room, or not enough room?

Trikie 22:53 09 Jan 2010

Yes, typo.

"Not enough room"

eedcam 10:08 10 Jan 2010

Ok so its not 37 g/byte so how much are you trying to put on the CD?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:26 10 Jan 2010

Uninstall the RW in device manger
reboot the machine and let windows find and reinstall the driver.

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers. they are in the windows\system32\drivers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

DJ-Garry 15:51 10 Jan 2010

Even if it was 3.7 Gb ... it still wouldn't fit on a CD .... only a DVD ..... Or was it supposed to be 37Mb Trikkie ????

Trikie 19:31 10 Jan 2010

Typo should have been 37.3Mb.

Thanks Fruit Bat. I used the Device Manager to check the driver and it said I have the latest one. Then uninstalled RW but on rebooting I still get the same "not enough space" message.

Looking at the list of drivers shown by Device Manager none of them seem to match any that you have listed. How do I install the files that you list? (I am now at the limit of my lack of PC "expertise"}.

woodchip 19:51 10 Jan 2010

try different dvd disc

eedcam 22:20 10 Jan 2010

Try another software to eliminate Roxio Deep burner is free and probably better anywayclick here
see If that shows the same problem

lotvic 23:41 10 Jan 2010

My Roxio burning program packed up working as well. I put it down to it being old and it never would update. It came already installed (no CD) with my pc

I downloaded CDBurnerXP it's a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create ISOs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017