Cd wont read disk -- again

jack 19:48 30 Nov 2004

This is a laboured topic but I think my problem is a little uniqueish.
In the past a DVD reader would not read- after much prodding and talking here- conclusion dud drive.
Took it out and filled hole with a CD that happened to be kicking around.
That played up - But found that I had not set the
jumper aright.
Sorted that
And it is now recognised as a slave.
and it opens is drawer and little light flashes away, bit this one wont read disks either.
Now what are the chances that is a dud also?
Properties says it is there and a fully loaded disk is in the drive -but it wont read.
Do I delve deeper? is there anywhere deeper to delve?

Newuser3605 22:35 30 Nov 2004

Hello,
If you ever find out the answer, please let me know.
Al

HXP 00:39 01 Dec 2004

Are you having problems reading commercial disks or CDR's ? If it's commercial disks then I have no idea what could cause problem if it's cdr's read on.

I have had varying problems with CDR /CDRW CD's and it has been a combination of -

The brand of the CDR/RW disk - my Sony DVD recordable wont record on Maxell but my CDR in another machine is fine with them. A very old 4 x CD reader is really touchy about what it reads but it is 5 years old.

In control panel look at the properties of the drive and enable or disable DMA ( well it's worth a try !!)

I would try connecting the drive directly to an IDE port with nothing else attached on that cable.

Could be a fualty IDE cable - they are cheap so another (maybe) try.

The final proof of where the problem lies may be to ' borrow ' a cd drive if you have a mate who trusts you with it to see if problem remains on a known good drive.

maybe you have tried all the above and I am no expert but I'd give it a try - after that my limited knowledge runs out .....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone