CD won't Autostart (or manual start either)

effingpot 18:53 01 Mar 2007

I have the Navman code on CD for my sat nav but when I put the CD in either drive it whizzes around for a min, looks busy then just stops. No error, nothing. Navman sent me replacements and exact same thing. If I navigate to the CD I see all files and can click on install.exe and same thing - disc spins then after 30 secs or so just stops.

TRying it on a laptop I have (but don't want to us), it installs.

Any clues why my desktop won't run the app? Is there a way I can tell?
Thanks for any help
Rgds
Mike

skidzy 19:01 01 Mar 2007

do your other discs play/install ok? some discs do seem to be more likely not to run than others you could try cleaning the drive using a dvd/cd cleaning disc see if that helps also check the properties of the drive in device manager maybe try uninstall reinstall.

effingpot 20:37 01 Mar 2007

Thanks for the help.

The MS fix utility claims it "cannot find the error"

Autorun is set to "1" in the registry (it seems to try and work)

Recently my disk copy SW seemed to stop Working so I wonder now if it's related and this is some kind of HW error. However I can read data from CDs no problem at all.

I think autorun believes it's running - it just fails with no error message.

I'm stumped.

I'll try to re-install the DD for the drive.
Mike

woodchip 20:42 01 Mar 2007

Instead of Double Clicking the exe file copy to hard drive by right click and drag then try running from the copy

woodchip 20:45 01 Mar 2007

With mine, admitted it's a ACER pda with GPS. But the software as to be copied to Memory card then you put it in the PDA, when it's switched on the pda see's and loads it. Destinator software

effingpot 20:46 01 Mar 2007

ok tried that. nothing at all on that one.
Frustrating eh?

woodchip 20:49 01 Mar 2007

Do you synchronise the GPS with Computer by cable? if so you should be able to load it that way

effingpot 21:32 01 Mar 2007

The GPS doesn't synchronise with the PC until I install this SW. That's exactly what I'm trying to do. The SW is not available to install from the web, only by CD but neither of my PC drives seem to want to play.

woodchip 17:52 02 Mar 2007

Try removing the drive From Device Manager the reboot and try the CD

citadel 19:28 02 Mar 2007

see if you have starforce installed. device manager, hardware, view, hidden devices, non plug and play devices, scroll down and look for starforce, right click on any entries and choose disable. there are usually three or four of them. restart pc. starforce is copy protection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?