cd will not eject

bendigo 17:16 01 Mar 2006

I have been playing a cd in my E drive, but it will not eject now. I notice a very small hole on the casing. Is this the PC equivalent to the Mac "poke it with a bit of wire" to get a disc to eject. I need reassurance before I prod.

heidelberg 17:20 01 Mar 2006

Basically yes - though I have no experience with the Mac. I have however used an unfolded paper clip on various PCs to open a CD and DVD drive.

Dave

Stuartli 17:33 01 Mar 2006

But make sure that you switch the system off first if you use the pin method (for obvious reasons).

However, first try right clicking on your drive's letter (E in your case) from My Computer and selecting Eject from the menu.

Stuartli 17:51 01 Mar 2006

By the way the pin opening method has been around for a long time and will virtually all makes of drives.

Koochy 18:10 01 Mar 2006

I agree with Stuartli make sure you shut everything down first as about a year ago now i inserted a paper clip into said hole to eject a cd without shutting down ( i thought i new better ) and low and behold i must have touched something inside and created a short and that was the end of my cd drive. Also there are the health risks involved.

bendigo 10:22 02 Mar 2006

many thanks to you all, prolem solved.

Stuartli 11:08 02 Mar 2006

How, please, so lessons can be learned?

terryf 11:23 02 Mar 2006

Please, please.
I and probably many others would ALWAYS like to know how problems are resolved when often many suggestions are put forward, we like to know because we may have the same problem ourselves on day

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone