cd tray jammed

Grambo 18:50 04 Dec 2006

poor debbie harry seems unable to be ejected. Is there an xp control panel command to open tray as when i press the external button nothing happens

i tried running 'recordnow' which auto opens trays when burning cds but this doesnt work either

pc is hp pavilion approx 3 years old

SANTOS7 18:52 04 Dec 2006

On the front face of your Drive you will see a pinhole put cocktali stick in there it should open the drawer for you..

SANTOS7 18:53 04 Dec 2006

Or even a cocktail stick

Technotiger 18:54 04 Dec 2006

Two thing - right-click on cd icon in My Computer and then click on Close Tray - or - look at the front of the cd drive and you will see a small hole, get something like a straightened out paper clip and gently push the end into the hole, this should open your tray ..
and don't worry, that is what the hole is there for.

Technotiger 18:55 04 Dec 2006

Ooops sorry, it is not Close Tray that should have read 'Eject'

mymate 18:56 04 Dec 2006

Or just switch the computer off and on again,that usually works for me .

Grambo 19:07 04 Dec 2006

thanks guys....still trying the pin hole method, but noticed something with the drives

2 trays on pc, DVD-ROM and CD-WRITER and its the first one thats stuck. When i open My Computer there is CD-RW (F) which sure enough has EJECT command, works fine. But nothing about the DVD-ROM drive. Has this gone awol

Technotiger 19:11 04 Dec 2006

Have a look in Device Manager - right-click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager ... see if it is shown.

Grambo 19:23 04 Dec 2006

Had a look in Device Manager

Its 'DVD/CD-ROM drives'

opened that and saw

'Cyber Drv CW058d CD-R/RW'

Thats the only one listed

Technotiger 19:25 04 Dec 2006

Yes, it has gone AWOL - check all connections inside and outside, something may have come loose.

Technotiger 19:26 04 Dec 2006

If you have a loose connection, this is why the tray would not respond.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?